High school students react to remote learning with concern and questions amid coronavirus outbreak

As teachers begin distance learning in the Pelham School District during the Covid-19 pandemic, some students of Pelham Memorial High School are struggling to figure out what the long-term school closure will mean for them academically—including voicing concerns over curricula and testing.

Elementary school kids will learn and interact with their teachers through an online Google Doc, according to an email from Dr. Steven Garcia, assistant superintendent for curriculum, instruction and personnel.

The academic process for middle and high school kids is more involved.

Secondary students will be able to meet with teachers through online sessions at least twice a week. Class materials and homework will be continuously updated on Google Classroom. Despite these measures, it is still not clear what will replace tests and quizzes or if students will be able to adequately prepare for major standardized tests.

“I hope that the school can help us continue our education in a timely manner without having to rush units and cram lessons before the end of the year,” said PMHS student Jamie Burke. “I also hope that teachers understand that learning at home without in-person contact and only 45 minutes twice a week of face-to-face contact can be difficult, so hopefully, they can assign a workload with fewer tests, and are more understanding when grading assignments.” 

For students in Advanced Placement or Regents classes, what the future holds in terms of tests remains unclear. Some in AP classes took them to get college credit, and, as a result of this, it’s likely that any cancellation or postponement of these tests could result in seniors not getting those credits. The College Board, the organization which develops and administers both the AP and SAT tests, has already cancelled the May 2 SAT. AP exams are held in early May.   

Already, the effects of Covid-19 are being felt by Pelham students following the cancellation of the March and May SATs, as well as the April ACT. The College Board announced it would refund all students who have registered for the SAT, but the impact of these cancellations could extend beyond test costs. Many seek to take the test multiple times to give themselves the best chance at the highest score possible.

“I’m hoping that the College Board and New York State recognize the struggle that being out of the classroom for over a month may have on our Regents and AP test scores,” said PMHS junior Nate Bloom. “Without a traditional classroom setting and in-person feedback from teachers, I’m expecting to struggle a bit more in my classes, especially the ones that already challenge me.”

While not addressing or discussing specific concerns, Superintendent of Schools Dr. Cheryl Champ said in an email Wednesday distance learning is a “work in progress.” She said issues were a given, as the plan was rolled out quickly.

“We have heard many concerns shared throughout the day and are already in discussions with our administrators and teachers in an effort to improve these experiences for both our students and parents,” the superintendent said.

“I (would want) anything that would get us the closest to a normal learning experience that we could achieve while being at home,” said PMHS student Juan Carlos Matos.