High school Covid-19 testing finds two students with infection, says superintendent

Pelham Memorial High School

Pelham Superintendent Dr. Cheryl Champ said in a Sunday email to parents that two high school students have tested positive for Covid-19. All high school students were required to get tested at the beginning of last week in order to return to school after a series of parties were held before classes started.

Champ said that both individuals are asymptomatic and are now following proper quarantine procedures. The Westchester County Department of Health was informed in order to conduct contact tracing protocols. Anyone who was in contact with the students has been notified and is also now quarantining. Champ said that since neither student had been Pelham Memorial High School or other buildings, the district would still move forward under the hybrid learning plan.

“We feel fortunate that so far, our community continues to beat the Covid-19 infection statistics of our region, which are already low,” said Champ. “This gives us confidence that the systems and procedures that are in place to keep our schools healthy are working as intended and that our community, students and staff are taking this situation seriously and making responsible choices.”

Champ thanked all the PMHS students for their cooperation and maturity throughout the testing process.

The new cases have yet to appear on the state dashboard tracking infections in school districts.