High schools shifts to remote learning due to staff quarantines, vaccine absences

Pelham Memorial High School students will attend classes virtually Tuesday and Wednesday after an individual last in the building Thursday Feb 5 tested positive for Covid-19, according to a Monday email from Principal Mark Berkowitz and Asst. Principal Bethany Antonelli.

The switch is a result of a staffing shortage due to both staff quarantines from exposure and projected absences from the number of staff members scheduled to receive the Covid-19 vaccine this week, said the email.

“While we recognize the inconvenience shifting to remote instruction will cause families and students, it is extremely important that our staff be vaccinated,” said Berkowitz in the message. “Unfortunately, the nature of scheduling vaccination appointments and the side effects that some experience, especially after the second dose, inevitably lead to staffing shortages. We will continue to do everything that we can to keep our schools open for in-person instruction.”

Students will continue to follow the hybrid bell schedule while at home. Breakfast and lunch can be picked up between 7 and 9 a.m. at the 18 Franklin Pl. entrance to the high school.