PMHS student Aiden Levy nominated for national Presidential Scholars program

Presidential Scholar finalists in 2017. Courtesy of blog.ed.gov

PMHS senior Aiden Levy was nominated by the State Education Department, as recommended by Assemblywoman Amy Paulin, as one of 25 seniors from New York State for the U.S. Presidential Scholars Program.  

The U.S. Presidential Scholars Program was established in 1964 by executive order of President Lyndon Johnson with the goal of recognizing and honoring the nation’s most outstanding high school seniors.  In 1979, the program was extended to acknowledge those who display talent in the arts.  In 2015, the program was extended yet again to recognize students who show excellence in career and technical education (CTE) fields.

“I am very grateful for this nomination and am honored to be selected,” said Levy. “Since Mrs. Archer informed me of the nomination, I have strived to uphold the principles of which I was acknowledged for, even if it has been challenging during senior year.”

The White House Commission on Presidential Scholars’ review committee selects honored scholars annually based on their academic achievement, personal characteristics, leadership, and service activities, in addition to the quality and content of their essays.  Those who qualify for semifinals will be notified in mid- April, and Scholars will be announced in May. If circumstances permit, all scholars are honored for their accomplishments during the National Recognition Program, held in June in Washington, D.C. During this trip, U.S. Presidential Scholars are guests of the US Department of Education and the Commission and enjoy an expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C., to meet with government officials, educators and other accomplished people. To commemorate their achievement, the Scholars are awarded the Presidential Scholars Medallion at a ceremony sponsored by the White House.

During his time at PMHS, Aiden has displayed both academic and extracurricular success.  He serves as class president of the National Honor Society, vice president of the English Honor Society and is also a member of the Rho Kappa (social studies), Math, Science and World Language national honor societies. In addition, he participates in Pelham’s political debate club and environmental science club, as well the boys varsity soccer team.

“I would not be both the person and student I am today without Pelham,” Levy said. “With the encouragement of my teachers, the unconditional support of my family, the unparalleled friendships from school, along with the nurturing nature of many in the community, I am proud to be myself.”