Former students react to planned Hutchinson demolition

Hutchinson School, 1918.

Construction on the new Hutchinson School building kicked off in June 2019 with overwhelming community support. Nearly two years later, alumni say goodbye as the old Hutchinson building prepares for demolition.

Starting over the summer, the building will be cleared of all furniture and other items, a process that will likely take several weeks. The demolition is then set to begin in September. In order to minimize disruptions, much of the demolition will take place at the rear end of the school. District officials and contractors will work alongside the Village of Pelham government, police and fire departments to maximize the safety of the project.

Deconstruction of the school marks not only another step closer to the project’s completion, but a physical end to many students’ Hutchinson experience.

“It’s bittersweet knowing that the place where you met your friends, had your first round of influential teachers, and made valuable childhood memories will soon be turned to rubble,” said Kae Purcea, a Hutchinson alum and current Pelham senior. “However, it’s comforting to know that other kids in the community will (continue to learn) in a new, accommodating environment.”

Hutchinson graduate Anthony Leak felt similarly: “It’s sad knowing that a building where I made so many memories will soon be gone, but the students who attended will always know how special the building and the people in it were,” he said.

For many students, though, the end of one era is the beginning of another.

“I’m definitely sad knowing that a place where I met so many new people and made so many memories won’t be there anymore,” said Ali Milanese, “but the new building looks beautiful already and I am excited to see the finished product!”