Pelham schools hold superintendent’s conference day

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Pelham Public Schools. 

The Pelham Public Schools teachers and staff began the 2018-19 school year on Tuesday, Sept. 4, the first of two Superintendent’s Conference Days before students return to class on Thursday. The opening festivities began with a breakfast sponsored by the Pelham PTA Council followed by welcome back speeches by Dr. Cheryl Champ, Superintendent of Schools, Sue Bratone Childs, Board of Education President, Leah Tahbaz, PTA Council President, Bob Tracy, Pelham Education Foundation President, and Mark Finegan, President of the Pelham Teachers Association.

In her address, Dr. Champ asked staff to reflect upon people that they admired most and identify what traits those people exemplified. Those traits, she said, are often also found in themselves.

“We must remember to look for those gifts, and to challenge our students to see those gifts in themselves,” Dr. Champ said. “I challenge each of you this year to make that a goal each day, to help each student discover and share their gifts. And in doing that we will collectively continue to inspire an environment of excellence for all students.”

Following the opening remarks, the teachers and staff spent the afternoon in professional development sessions at their respective schools, which will continue on Wednesday.

Classes for students will begin on Thursday, Sept. 6, which is a noon dismissal for grades K-5 and a full day for grades 6-12. As a reminder, Pelham Middle School will have a staggered start, with 6th graders beginning at 8:15 pm, 7th graders beginning at 8:45 am, and 8th graders starting at 9:15 am. All other grades will begin at their normal start times.