What’s in your kid’s bedroom? Pelham Together creates mockup for parents to search for drug, alcohol hiding spots

Cristina Stefanizzi

Where are the drugs hidden?

Water bottles with fake bottoms. Lanyards that unravel into smoking pipes. Bracelets that unscrew to serve as a flask.

These were some of the items placed in an interactive mockup of a “typical” teenage bedroom for parents to find during a “Hidden in Plain Site” program held at Daronco Town House by Pelham Together and Student Assistance Services.

Parents were invited to identify as many “drug and alcohol-use related items” as they could find in the room during the Feb. 6 event. The exhibit included upwards of 30 different objects designed to discreetly store drugs, alcohol, vapes and other paraphernalia.

“I think with technology, you have a lot more access to information, so these things can be crafted easier now,” said parent Sanjay Sakhrani.

Ten parents attended the event.

Certain items were obvious, with marijuana leaf decals, words and phrases, while other items were more discreet and looked seemingly innocent. While certain objects were purchased, the exhibit also showcased homemade hiding spaces such as hidden compartments in baseball caps and the tongue of a sneaker. Certain items seemed dated in terms of whether they’d be found in a current teenager’s bedroom.

“I had no idea there were so many ways to hide drugs,” said a parent named Brooke. “I don’t think these products were available when I was growing up.”

The last presentation of this kind was more than six years ago, also hosted by Pelham Together.

Cristina Stefanizzi

The interactive program led into a Powerpoint overview of the drugs and alcohol students may engage in using, in order to help parents better identify these items. Student Assistance Services counselor Justine LaDisa told parents about different forms of vapes and different drugs. Parents discussed the use of Narcan and questioned where students are getting drugs and alcohol. Discussions of house parties and “the woods”—drinking parties in Pelham Bay Park—also took place.

“It’s really helpful to get an understanding about the different methods people can use to disguise some of the stuff they’re using,” said Sakhrani. “The technology has advanced significantly, and that’s surprising.”