Pelham Together gives Heart of Pelham awards to four high schoolers and two middle schoolers

From left, PMHS school counselor Andrea Pellicane, Pelham Together youth advocate Danielle Marrero, Skyler Austin, Manu Naik, PMHS Principal Mark Berkowitz, Laura Shelton, Erik Fontanella and PMHS class advisor Megan Rice.

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by Pelham Together. The Pelham Examiner publishes press releases in the form received as a service to the community.

Pelham Together awards the Heart of Pelham (HOP and HOP Jr.) Awards twice a year to high school and middle school students. Recipients are nominated for demonstrating values such as compassion, kindness, leadership, determination, perseverance, and integrity—sometimes overlooked qualities, but ones that make our community a better place. High school aged youth can be nominated for a HOP Award by anyone in the community as well as faculty and staff in the Pelham Schools, and middle school youth are chosen by PMS staff and administration. The students were honored at a ceremony with their families and nominators hosted by Pelham Together on December 8, 2023.

Congratulations and THANK YOU to our award winners!

High School HOP Winners:
Skyler Austin
Erik Fontanella
Manu Naik
Laura Shelton

Middle School HOP Jr. Winners:
Maggie Dembowski
Matthew Muniz

About Our HOP Award Winners:
Skyler Austin: Skyler Austin was nominated by adults in the community for her COMPASSION, KINDNESS, and AMBITION. Amid societal pressures, she consistently acts on her compassion to help others, as seen in her mask-making initiative during the pandemic and her extraordinary efforts to organize a donation effort for unused school supplies, collecting over 67 bags of clothing and numerous school supplies for children in the Bronx. She continued this commitment, partnering with the 4Bronx Project, organizing school supply drives, clothing drives, and Christmas gift drives for domestic violence shelters.

From left, Pelham Together youth advocate Danielle Marrero, Matthew Muiz and PMS Assistant Principal Sean Llewellyn. (Not pictured: Maggie Dembowski)

Erik Fontanella: Erik Fontanella was nominated by a faculty member for COMPASSION and RESILIENCE. Erik truly embodies the essence of Pelham, serving as the heartbeat of our school community. His unwavering compassion, resilience, and integrity shine through his roles as the High School Mascot and Student Association President. Erik goes above and beyond, not only in setting up and cleaning up after events but also in taking personal responsibility for the well-being of Pelham. His dedication and loyalty are evident, as he welcomes all, pitches in without hesitation, and extends kindness to everyone he encounters. Erik is not just a positive force; he is an active and uplifting community member, making Pelham a better place for all.

Manu Naik: Manu Naik was nominated by an adult neighbor for COMPASSION, EMPATHY, and INTEGRITY. Manu stands out for combining kindness, intelligence, and a commendable civic-minded spirit. His deep involvement in volunteer work truly inspires—Manu contributes to Eco Pel, PMHS Young Democrats, PMHS breast cancer awareness, and as part of the Pelham Together Youth Council. Manu’s kindness extends to his strong sense of family, often spending time with his elderly grandfather. He has an undeniably good heart, making him a remarkable individual in both character and contributions to the community.

Laura Shelton: Laura Shelton was nominated by a member of the counseling department for her KINDNESS and INFECTIOUS POSITIVE ENERGY.  Laura stands out for embodying kindness, open-mindedness, and authenticity. As a leader, she genuinely cares for others, maintaining a humble and respectful demeanor toward peers and adults alike. In 10th grade, Laura represented PMHS at the prestigious Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership conference. She held the role of Student Association Secretary and was elected Vice President this year by her peers. Laura has been a dedicated peer mentor, held leadership positions in various clubs, and contributes as an Editor for The Pelham Examiner. On the varsity soccer and track teams, she showcases leadership, while also managing responsibilities at a local preschool activity center. Laura’s positivity is felt in every classroom and event, as she willingly supports others and radiates kindness.

About Our HOP Jr Award Winners:

Magdalene “Maggie” Dembowski: Maggie was nominated for her LEADERSHIP and PERSEVERANCE.  Maggie is an 8th grade student at PMS who embodies leadership. Maggie leads by example. She is always willing to support those in need regardless of whether or not they are her friend. Maggie has great self-advocacy skills and also advocates for others. She brings awareness to issues that trusted adults may not know about to help create a more inclusive environment. Maggie is the type of student who will continue to make a difference in our school and community.

Matthew Muniz: Matthew was nominated for his DETERMINATION and RESILIENCE.  Matthew is an 8th grade student at PMS who is determined to be the best version of himself. Since 6th grade, Matthew has taken advantage of the all available resources to improve his academic performance. Matthew’s determination and perseverance are demonstrated on a daily basis, including in his decision to enroll in additional classes to support his goals for success. With this type of commitment, we are certain Matthew will continue to grow as a student and we are so proud of his strong work ethic and willingness to do whatever it takes to succeed.