Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

PMS Pelham Together Club seeks to relieve stress of testing and gloom of winter for fellow students

Students gather around the table, collecting motivational quotes and bonding with each other.

As the month of January ended, midterms and practice state testing began in the high school and middle school. The combination of stress, the winter season and schoolwork can be a struggle for students. Members of the Pelham Middle School Pelham Together Club recognized this and launched an initiative to spread positivity in their community.

On Jan. 23, the club gathered at a table outside the middle school gym, offering “Motivation and Goodies” to passing students, giving them a little push to start the day off right.

The club is built around positive energy and togetherness, and students in the group were more than happy to support their peers and bring their community closer together. A change was seen immediately as students gathered around the table. Students of all middle-school grades were seen forming relationships and bonding with each other, coming together as a group with great enthusiasm.

The club is all about community and fostering relationships among the middle school students.

“I love seeing how passionate the Pelham Together middle school club is about building new relationships,” said Jennifer Kitay, teacher and the club’s advisor. “The purpose of the Pelham Together motivational table was to allow students to participate in activities that foster a positive mindset, build resilience and inspire them to achieve their goals, all of which improves their overall wellbeing.”

The Pelham Together Club at PMS is an offshoot of the well-known local organization of the same name. Pelham Together organizes town-wide events and activities to stimulate togetherness and friendship in Pelham.

The middle school club places an emphasis on kindness and mental health, hosting events such as Say “Hi!” Day and Positive Post-It Day.

Kitay and the club has plans for the near future. Throughout the next couple of months, club members will organize and participate in activities focused on mental health and substance abuse awareness. They will partner with the Pelham Together Youth Council to achieve the same purpose through activities such as Pelham Overnight: Mental Health Never Sleeps.