Author who survived 1994 Rwandan genocide talks to PMHS social studies classes

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Pelham School District.

Storyteller and Author Carl Wilkens visited with all 9th, 10th and AP Government students on Tuesday, Dec. 11 to share his experiences during the Rwandan genocide. As part of Mr. Wilkens’ presentation and discussion, he emphasized key themes of respect, empathy, inclusion and learning to live together.

His visit supported the work of the District’s Diversity Committee and ties in with the cultural proficiency training that has been a key focus of this school year and coincides with the 70th anniversary of the Declaration of Human Rights Proclamation by the United Nations. It also served as a precursor for the 10th grade global History and Human Rights’ students study on the Rwandan genocide later in the year.

Mr. Wilkens remained in Kigali, Rwanda during the 1994 genocide, surviving the fighting to bring much needed supplies to orphans trapped in the city. His work alongside Rwandan colleagues helped save hundreds of lives.

“We are extremely grateful to have Mr. Wilkens share his powerful story and message with our students,” said Jeannine Clark, PMHS Principal. “Hearing his experience first hand helps to enhance our goal to help our students become thoughtful and well-rounded global citizens.”

While addressing the students, Mr. Wilkens challenged them to reflect on the parallels between the Rwandan genocide and persecution and their own societies, noting that discrimination can occur beyond race and religion.

“Genocide stems from a thinking that says ‘My world will be better without you in it,’” he said. “Who in the U.S. thinks they would be better without others in it?”

Mr. Wilkens encouraged the students to participate in service, explaining that doing so will help change the way they think. He also spoke about “reframing,” a process in which people can train themselves to look beyond preconceptions they may have about others in society.