Five Pelham students move on to states in National History Day Competition

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Pelham School District.

This winter, 8th and 11th grade students participated in the annual National History Day Competition in which students tackled this year’s theme “Triumph and Tragedy Throughout History. In the National History Day competition, students conduct and share research projects in a variety of mediums, including individual or group documentaries, historical papers, exhibits, websites and more. The students compete schoolwide and winners advance to a regional competition with the possibility of moving on to state and national competitions throughout the spring. Five students have qualified for the state competition: HS junior Helen Meyerson, and eighth graders Victor Chang, Isabella Fauber, Julie Meyerson, and Adina Sasson. See below for a list of Pelham students who competed in the regional competition and their projects.

Pelham Memorial High School

• Helen Meyerson, 1st place, Senior Individual Documentary: “Philo Farnsworth: The Inventor of Television’s Triumph and Tragedy”
  • Vedika Basavatia, 3rd place, Senior Historical Paper: “The Influence of Hamilton on Hamilton: How a Musical About the Forgotten Founding Father Has Captivated America 200 Year Later”
  • Lukas Glist, Senior Historical Paper: “The Battle of Blair Mountain: The Forgotten War and Its Legacy”
  • Spike Childs, Senior Historical Paper: “The Flying Tigers: The Legends in their Own Time”

Pelham Middle School

• Julia Meyerson, 2nd Place, Junior Individual Documentary: “Alan Turing”
  • Adina Sasson, 1st place, Junior Individual Historical Paper: “Defying Social Standards: Courageous Women in the Civil War”
  • Isabella Fauber, 2nd place, Junior Individual Exhibit: “From Wrong to Right: The Untold Story of Japanese Americans”
  • Victor Chang, 1st place, Junior Individual Website:“History of Jazz: America’s Cultural Triumph”
  • Audrey Levenson and Leila Brady, Group Live Performance: “The Suffrage Movement”
  • Kirsten Agbenyega and Robbie Shepherd, Group Live Performance: “The Nuclear Cold War and the Doomsday Clock”
  • Magnus Adams, Bruno Hochberg and Adam Wolf, Group Live Performance: “The Space Race”
  • Andy Wang, Individual Website: “The Pamphlet That Made History Itself Revolt”
  • Bella Rosado, Katie Brandler and Sorany Campo, Group Exhibit: “The 1969 Woodstock Festival”
  • Audrey Leung, Larisa Breskin and Doretina Lucgjonaj, Group Exhibit: “The Bombing of Hiroshima & Nagasaki”
  • Kaitlin Sheehy, Katie Prisco, and Grace Colkin, Group Exhibit: “ Women of World War II”
  • Sarah Tapogna, Individual Exhibit, “Triumph and Tragedy of the SR-71 Blackbird”