PMHS fall sports: Best of 2019 includes league titles for field hockey and volleyball

Looking back on the season just ended, Pelham Memorial High School athletes again proved themselves to be dominant in several fall sports. 

The girls volleyball team clinched the league title after defeating Harrison, ending the season with an 11-5 record and a 5-1 league record. The team was led by senior captains Peri Zale and Grace Anderson, with an outstanding performance by Grace Aronson.

The girls field hockey team clinched the league title as well after a victory against Harrison. The team finished with an 11-3-2 record while posting a 6-0-1 record in the league. Captains Grace Liberatore, Moran Orlando and Jane Dunbar led the team with support from sophomore Eileen Mazzaro. 

Both the boys and girls cross country teams had successful seasons after multiple victories. The girls team was led by senior Morgan Sample, with solid performances from juniors Lucia Lavallee and Giovanna Vitale. The boys team was led by senior captains Lance Brady and Stephen Tahbaz, with junior Christopher Hartigan and sophomore Daniel Johnson supporting. Both the boys and girls teams competed at the Section 1 championships and had great performances from sophomore Stephen Liaskos and junior Christopher Hartigan. 

The girls soccer team had a great season, posting a 10-4 record.  They were lead by captain Maeve Parmelee. The team lost captain Alexis Cornachio to a knee injury early in the season.  Even after the loss of the Cornachio, the girls team still managed to pull off a remarkable season.

The boys soccer team had a down season after more than a dozen players graduated last spring, ending 7-10 with a team predominantly made up of juniors. Junior.

“We had a tough season, but it was a necessary building step and we’re looking forward to next year,” said junior Ben Schneider

Varsity football ended what turned out to be an up and down season, though leaving fans with the feeling there is much to look forward to in the coming years.

Although many seniors contributed to the team’s success, there were a number of juniors and sophomores who played a big part in the team’s victories. Junior quarterback Carlo Volpe had a stellar season, as did juniors Flynn Bryan and Anthony Mota-Flippen and sophomore Thomas Shelton. Another highlight was that head coach Artie Viggiano was named New York Giants High School Football Coach of the Week for his play calling in the Pelican’s win over Harrison.