Bethany Antonelli appointed PMHS assistant principal; last day of classes set for June 17

The Pelham Board of Education appointed Bethany Antonelli as the next high school assistant principal and outlined how the school year will wrap up online for all grade levels at the regular meeting on Tuesday.

Antonelli previously served as the assistant principal at Energy Tech High School in Queens, and has experience in both special education and counseling services. Antonelli lives in New Rochelle, making her, according to Superintendent Dr. Cheryl Champ, “already a little Pelham.”

Antonelli said that she is ready to “hit the ground running,” and collaborate with newly appointed high school principal Mark Berkowitz, both of whose positions will go into full effect on July 1.

Champ announced that the last day of classes this year will be June 17. However, teaching materials will be made available at the elementary level through Google Classroom for the whole month of June, and educational materials will be accessible for all grade levels throughout the summer. Chromebooks which have been out on loan to elementary families who required additional tech access will stay with students for the summer and longer if needed in the fall.

Dr. Steven Garcia, assistant superintendent for curriculum, shared that elementary teachers will be reaching out to parents soon to schedule end of year and progress report conversations regarding all students.

During the state-mandated budget hearing President Jessica DeDomenico read questions and comments submitted by residents concerning the 2020-21 budget, and Champ presented an overview of the budget. Coverage of the budget hearing can be found here, and more information about the budget can be found here.

Champ added in her report that this time of year would normally be marked by the celebration of all staff members receiving tenure, but since this cannot occur given current conditions the ceremony will be held in the fall instead. The board voted to approve tenure for Christina Camacho, Melody Casagrande, Catherine Dembowski, Gregory Kopstein, Diana La Scalia, Lauren Pignataro, Sara Pinsker, Nicole Sgobbo, Lauren Strachan, Andrew Van Bochove and Katheryn Walker.

Additionally, the board appointed Lori Tortorella to the position of high school chemistry and living environment teacher, replacing Ann Stanton, who has resigned. Tortorella has interned with the district before and is currently finishing her PhD program. They also formally accepted the resignation of Athletic Director Stephen Luciana, who took a position in the Mahopac Central School District. 

James Hricay, assistant superintendent for business, shared that the construction at the Glover Field complex is almost complete, and the masonry work at the middle and high school is now underway.

The board’s next virtual meeting will be held on June 10 at 8:15 p.m.. Viewing will be available on YouTube Live.