April 12 deadline for $27,500 in Pelham Civics community awards available to PMHS students

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Pelham Civic Association.

(March 19, 2021 – Pelham, NY) Founded in 1939, The Pelham Civic Association, one of Westchester County’s most active volunteer, charitable organizations – dedicated to assisting the youth/students, elderly, mentally & physically challenged and financially needy – will present seven Community Awards totaling $27,500 to exemplary Pelham students on June 9, 2021. Applications are due to the Pelham Civics by April 12th.

These awards recognize special students who not only excel academically but have also made significant contributions to our community through their leadership in volunteer time, actions, talents and dedication. The honorees selected serve as role models for compassion and service, as they demonstrate enthusiasm and motivation in the areas of community service, charitable support, civic leadership, and creativity in service. The awards and their namesakes are as follows:

VINCENT LOPARDI COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD ($10,000) is presented to a graduating high school senior residing in Pelham, NY and who best exemplifies outstanding civic pride and community spirit. Recipient will demonstrate active participation in facing community real life problems and issues by offering his or her skills to the needs of the community.

CAMILLO D’URSO CHARITABLE SUPPORT AWARD ($8,000) is presented to either a high school, college or graduate student who resides in Pelham, NY and who best exemplifies leadership and support in charitable work. Recipient will demonstrate generous actions, donation of time, money, service or help to persons less fortunate or organizations that provide for those in need.

JOSEPH L. NUNZIATA AWARD FOR CREATIVITY AND SERVICE ($2,500) is presented to a graduating high school senior residing in Pelham, NY who best represents her or his outstanding creative talents for the benefit of others. This may include creative disciplines such as writing, art, graphic design, photography, and creative and strategic concepts that enhance the lives of others.

HILDA E. PORTER, RN, PHD, FNB-BC SUPPORT AWARD ($2,500) is presented to a graduating high school senior residing in Pelham, NY who desires to apply their talents to the study of disciplines within health and sciences.  This may include medical care, nursing, medicine or dental studies wherein they would benefit others and give back to their community in the future.

ANTHONY SENERCHIA MEMORIAL SERVICE AWARD ($2,000) is presented to a graduating high school senior residing in Pelham, NY who demonstrates strong community service by giving back to the community. Such actions would be best represented by helping the next generation of students reach their full potential whether through teaching/assisting younger students with after school programs, activities, studies or equivalent.

HON. RICHARD J. DARONCO CIVIC LEADERSHIP AWARD ($1,500) provides expense reimbursement to high school students who serve as Pelham representatives to the Model Congress of Model United Nations Program, or similar program with expenses paid up to $1,500.

PHILIP J. COLICCHIO LEADERSHIP AWARD ($1,000), presented each year to the incoming Pelham Memorial High School President of the Student Association, allows for the recipient to attend a leadership conference of their choice.

Please submit your applications by April 12 to more information, please contact Co-Chairs: Darrell Walsh 914-522-4710; [email protected], or Chris Constant 917-532-7155; christopherconstant@pelhamci  Thank you!