Rotary Scholars of the Month: Almo, Levy, McCarthy and Roche

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Rotary Club of the Pelhams.

Rotary Club of the Pelhams concluded its 2020-21 series of Marilyn Stiefvater Scholars of the Month program with awards to four Pelham Memorial High School seniors: Emma Almo, Aiden Levy, Elise McCarthy and Thomas Roche.

PMHS Principal Mark Berkowitz introduced the students at a zoom meeting of the Rotary club on June 2.

Emma Almo, who plans to attend Haverford College in the fall, was recognized for her academic achievements as a commended writer and as a member of the National Honor Society as well as the math, science, social studies, English and Spanish honor societies. She has also been honored for her music accomplishments as trumpet section leader. Her extracurricular activities have included Biology Club, Chemistry Club, Math Peer Tutoring Club, Asian Culture Club and Animal Welfare Club. She has participated in sailing and is a teaching assistant at Pelham Jewish Center. Her recent internship involved genotyping of mice at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

Aiden Levy is Class President of the National Honor Society and Vice President of the English Honor Society. He is also a member of the social studies, math and Spanish honor societies. He was selected as a nominee for the U.S. Presidential Scholars program. He played Varsity soccer and his extracurricular activities have included Spanish Club, Political Debate Club and Environmental Club. He tutors Middle School students  and plans to attend Middlebury College this fall.

Elise McCarthy, who plans to attend Davidson College this fall, has had an internship at the Cellular and Molecular Biology Department of Columbia University College for the four years of her high school career and has presented research papers at Westchester symposia and science fairs where she has received several awards. She is a member of the science honor society as well as the math, English and Spanish honor societies as well as the National Honor Society. Her extracurricular activities included Chemistry Club, Environmental Science Club and Women’s Empowerment Club. An accomplished horseback rider, she is a volunteer in riding programs as well as a tutor in math and chemistry.

Thomas Roche, who has participated in the Science Research Program for the four years of his high school career, is a member of the science, English, social studies, language and honor societies and the National Honor Society. He has also participated in the Forensics Speech Club, the Sock ‘n’ Buskin theater program, PMHS Marching Band, Political Debate Club and Military History Club. He is managing editor/news of the Pelham Examiner and plans to attend Boston College this fall.

In addition to the Scholars of the Month program, Rotary Club of the Pelhams awards a $12,000 annual scholarship to a graduating PMHS senior. It is funded by Rotary members plus donations from community members. This year, the Rotary Club also selected two PMHS seniors for $2,000 awards each for new “Maggie Klein Scholarships for Excellence in Local Journalism” funded by a local donation.