Picture House presents student showcase in Pelham, family day in Bronxville on Sept. 24

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Picture House Regional Film Center. The Pelham Examiner publishes press releases in the form received as a service to the community.

September 12, 2022 – Pelham and Bronxville, NY – The Picture House Regional Film Center (www.thepicturehouse.org) announced today that on Saturday, September 24, they will be holding two special events for families, both free to the public.

In the morning, the Bronxville theater will host Family Day, offering film-centered activities for families with children in grade 5 and under beginning at 9:30 am. In keeping with The Picture House’s mission of fostering a love for film in people of all ages, this program gives children the opportunity to participate in a hands-on filmmaking workshop and watch a specially curated selection of short films.

In the afternoon, beginning at 4:00 pm, the Pelham location will host Student Showcase, a presentation of the short films made by participants in The Picture House’s school break camps and summer camps, as well as the films made in special workshops held in partnership Boys and Girls Clubs and Girls Inc. The Picture House will roll out the red carpet for these young filmmakers and their families, giving them the opportunity to see their work on the big screen. The screening is also open to the public.

Deputy Director and Director of Education at The Picture House, Francile Albright, said, “Free programs like Family Day and Student Showcase give kids experiences that cultivate their creativity and give them a personal connection to film. They’ll exercise their imaginations and learn new skills in the filmmaking workshop, and the shorts program is an entertaining way to expose them to the types of stories that can be told through the art of film. Student Showcase gives campers who have made films through our programs the chance to see their hard work up on the screen. It’s wonderful to see the pride and excitement they take in sharing their films with family and friends. We’re incredibly proud to offer these programs to local families.”

The Family Day filmmaking workshop begins at 9:30 am. It will be capped at 15 students, and registration is required. The short film program is open to all, no registration necessary, and will run from 10:30 to 11:00 am. The Student Showcase begins at 4:00 pm and is open to the public at no cost and with no registration required.

To learn more and register for the free workshop please visit www.thepicturehouse.org, call (914) 738-7337, or email [email protected].