Garage fire on Loring Avenue put out by Pelham Fire Dept. with Manor assist


A garage fire at 256 Loring Ave. on Friday at around 1:30 p.m. was extinguished by the Pelham Fire Department and an engine from Pelham Manor, according to a statement from Pelham Fire Chief Robert Benkwitt III.

A neighbor saw smoke coming from the garage and quickly called 911, helping to ensure that damage was minimal, said Benkwitt. Led by Pelham Captain Phil DeSimone, firefighters “encountered a heavy smoke condition and found the seat of the fire,” the chief said. “The fire was extinguished quickly and overhaul was performed to confirm no extension.”

The engine from the Pelham Manor Fire Department responded as part of the villages’ automatic aid agreement.

The Westchester County Cause and Origin Team was called and determined the fire was accidental.

“We remind residents to make sure to consult manufacturers’ recommendations and certified electricians when installing electrical devices such as generators, electric power sources and anything that would warrant a professional to install,” said Benkwitt. “We ask that residents not run extension cords under objects such as rugs, as this can cause the extension cord to overheat and fail, causing a fire. Using multiple extension cords to power a device is not recommended. Space heaters and air conditioners should be plugged directly to a wall outlet.”