Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Village of Pelham board votes to add parental leave policy for employees, makes Corlies block no parking

Pelham Village Hall.

The Village of Pelham Board of Trustees unanimously approved Aug. 8 a resolution amending the employee handbook to incorporate a parental leave policy for non-union employees.

The board also unanimously voted to make no parking the block on the east side of Corlies Avenue from Boulevard to Second Street East because of “the traffic and parking conditions on Corlies Avenue at the intersection of Boulevard.”

During the board’s work session, the Westchester Climate Action Planning Institute (WCAPI) presented an emissions inventory for the village government:

• Buildings and facilities: Greenhouse gas usage will eventually be reduced by 15% when the all-electric municipal center is completed, closing the existing fire station.
  • The vehicle fleet’s greenhouse gas usage will eventually be cut by 7% because the trash-hauling trucks are based in the village rather than coming from the former contractor’s location.
  • Solid waste can be mitigated with a volunteer food composting program.
  • Employee commute: 48% of 2019 employees lived in the Village of Pelham.
  • Streetlights switched to LED bulbs in 2018, providing a benefit from that year.

The WCAPI also reported:

• Buildings and facilities produced 25.5% of carbon dioxide emissions produced by village facilities.
  • Street lights and traffic signals: 2.6%.
  • Vehicle fleet: 65.9%
  • Employees commuting: 1.9%.
  • Solid-waste facilities: 4.1%.