Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Chamber protest and press conference about delay in Four Corners restoration postponed as owner takes first step on final work

The hole that was dug after a water pipe burst. (Pelham Examiner file photo)

A “sizable” community protest and Pelham Chamber of Commerce press conference set for Saturday over the delays in work at Four Corners has been postponed because property owner Friedland Management Co. has received permits to complete restoration of the lot, according to a statement from the chamber of commerce.

“Given the timeline our government has shared, we are standing down in good faith that the management company will adhere to this,” said Chamber President Cristina Chianese. “We are skeptical given all the delays and that we are well past 90 days now. Our businesses are hanging by threads.”

The Pelham Manor government said Monday Frieldlan’s contractor had received permits for the restoration, with the work expected to be completed by mid-October.

A sinkhole formed in the lot on June 17 because a water line feeding into the CVS fire-sprinkler system ruptured. The shops at Four Corners have reporterd steep declines in business because a large portion of the parking lot has remained unusable ever since.

Chianese said she and Susan Quintin had been organizing the effort for the community to come together to raise awareness about the issue and push for quicker action by Friedland.

Despite the postponement of community and chamber action, she said that if the repair schedule is delayed again by Oct. 1, she and Quintin will revisit their plan for the press conference.

“I want to extend my heartfelt thanks to our community for their unwavering support,” said Chianese in a press release. “Starting with our successful GoFundMe campaign and their continued outpouring of support, including plans to participate in the press event, our community has made all the difference. The local businesses affected by this situation have experienced a staggering 50% loss in revenue each month since June.”

Chianese encouraged residents to continue patronizing the businesses at Four Corners.

The chamber plans to request the Village of Pelham Manor implement “a safer parking lot upon the completion of construction. This would include new, clearer signage to indicate one-way traffic and do not enter zones for the benefit of all residents and visitors,” the press release said.