Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Heatwave: Three Pelham elementary schools without AC to dismiss early Thursday and Friday

Siwanoy Elementary School is one of three schools dismissing early due to the heat wave. (Pelham Examiner file photo)

With excessive heat forecast for the rest of this week, students at Colonial, Prospect Hill and Siwanoy elementary schools will be released at noon on Thursday and Friday because all three buildings are not fully air conditioned, according to an email from Superintendent Dr. Cheryl Champ.

Sixth graders at Pelham Middle School and all students at Hutchinson Elementary School will remain in classes for the full day as the buildings have AC. Seventh through 12th graders will take final exams as scheduled, Champ said.

“I recognize that excessive heat is becoming a more significant issue given the age of our buildings and the lack of AC,” said Champ. “Our facilities committee is meeting next week to consider both short- and long-term solutions to remediate this problem. Thank you for your patience and understanding, and please stay cool.”

There will be normal school days on Monday at the three elementary schools.

“Please understand that this is not a decision that was made lightly, however given the cumulative build up of heat within the buildings, dismissing early is in the best interest of the health and safety of our students,” said the superintendent. “I recognize the burden early release days put on families and hope this early notification provides you time to make the needed arrangements.”

An online petition has been circulating in Pelham calling for fewer scheduled half days for professional development.