Pelham indoor track and field finishes with nine medals in season’s first meet

Pelham’s indoor track and field team took home second place Tuesday in the season-opening meet at the Armory in the Bronx, with one of the girls relay teams placing third.

Nick Massaregli finished first in the 55-meter for his heat, while Kristian Idowu finished third in his heat. For the girls, sophomore Oluchi Njoku took second, senior Ava Sobolak third and senior Jasmine Duffus third in their respective heats.

With many returning stars, there are plenty of events with Pelham’s name on them this season after the team won the league title last year.

Starting with sprinting, county and section winners Massaregli and Howell, both seniors, look to lead.

Massaregli said of the 4 x 200-meter relay, “I am excited to see what this group brings. We should be the most feared four-man in the section. I think we have all the talent to make it to states and get the gold.”

The relay team consists of Massaregli, Howell, senior Kyle Chang and junior Emmanuel Idowu.

County and section winners Milan Otondi and Brian Nespole are expected to have dominant seasons in the high jump and long jump.

“I am super excited for my senior season and to set new records,” said Nespole.

At the season opener, Otondi finished second in the high jump, and Sobolak took second in the long jump.

In long distance, two-time county and section winner Emma Bier will test her endurance once again in the 1500-meter race.

“There is nothing like being with your friends and doing what you love,” said Bier, a junior. “Track and field has made that possible, and I am thankful for the many memories it has provided me with.”

The team’s next meet will be on Saturday at the Armory.