Sprint team breaks fifth PMHS record; track and field athletes qualify for states in several events

Pelham’s track and field sprint team continues to dominate in the postseason, with Sunday’s section championship performance including yet another broken 4×200 record and qualifying for the state championship.

The qualifying relay team consists of seniors Kristian Howell, Kyle Chang, Nicholas Massaregli and junior Emmanuel Idowu. This marks their fifth broken relay/sprint record of the season, placing them in an elite tier of Pelican athletes. The new 4×200 record for PMHS is 1:32.23.

“Qualifying for these events is something we had in mind all season, but to actually go out and do it is still a great feeling,” said Chang. “We’re focused, and our only concern right now is preparing for the next race. Broken records are a fun extra, but we don’t want to let it distract us from the end goal.”

Besides the 4×200 team, the following athletes will also be moving on to the state qualifiers, Jasmine Duffus for 55m, Milan Otondi for high jump and Zack Hasley for 1000m.

The NYSPHAA Section II state championships will take place on March 2, at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex in Staten Island.

Following this, the relay team has also qualified for the New Balance Nationals from March 7-10 at the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center in Boston, MA. Plus, Nike Nationals which will take place at the Armory Track & Field Center in NYC from March 8-10.

These two competitions showcase track and field athletes who have qualifying times or heights in their events to earn national recognition. Due to the overlap in the Nike and New Balance events, the team will only attend one of the nationals.

Fans of the Pelicans can find any updates on their selection and qualifications on the team’s Twitter/@PelhamTrack or their Instagram/@pelham.tf.